The Difference Between
Bottled and Jarred Packaged Goods
When it comes to packaged goods, there are two common types: bottled and jarred. But what is the difference between the two? And which one is better for your business?
In this blog post, we will discuss the differences between bottled and jarred packaged goods, as well as their benefits and drawbacks. We will also give you some tips on how to choose the type of packaging methods for your business.
What is the difference?
The main difference between them is the common packaging material. Bottled products are typically sealed in a plastic container, while jarred goods are sealed in a glass or metal container. In some cases, jarred products, especially jar packaging for food products, tend to be of higher quality than bottled products since they are less likely to be damaged during transport.
All types of food packaging have their own benefits and drawbacks. For example, bottled goods are often more durable and have a longer shelf life than jarred goods. They are also typically lighter and take up less space, which makes them more convenient to ship and store. However, bottled products can be more expensive to produce, and they are not always as eco-friendly as jarred products.
Jars, on the other hand, are often a more attractive choice for consumers, and they can give your product a more premium feel. They are also typically recyclable and can be reused, which makes them more environmentally friendly than bottled products. However, jars are often heavier and take up more space than items in bottles, which can make them more expensive to ship. They are also more fragile and can break easily, which means they have a shorter shelf life than bottled products.
Bottled Packaged Goods
Bottled packaged goods are typically made of glass or plastic. They are sealed with a screw-on cap and can be stored at room temperature.
Bottled packaged goods are often used in the beverage industry for drinking water, soda, beer, etc. They are also used for condiments, such as ketchup, mustard, and salad dressing.
Benefits of bottled packaged goods
- They are less likely to be damaged during transport.
- They are airtight and leak-proof.
- They protect their contents from light and oxygen
- They can be stored at room temperature, which means they have a longer shelf life.
- They are more lightweight and easier to carry than jarred goods.
Drawbacks of bottled packaged goods
- They are breakable.
- They require a lot of packaging material which can be expensive and bad for the environment.
- They are not always recyclable.
- The contents of bottled goods can cause food spoilage if they are exposed to oxygen or light.
Jarred Packaged Goods
Jarred packaged goods are typically made of glass or metal. They have a screw-on lid that is screwed onto the jar and can be stored at room temperature. The type of container used can affect the shelf life of the product, as well as its safety and security.
Jarred packaged goods are often used in the food industry for a variety of food items, such as jams, condiments, and pickles.
Benefits of Jarred Packaged Goods
- They are durable and can be reused.
- They have a long shelf life.
- They are more lightweight and take up less space than bottled goods.
- They are easy to open and close.
- They protect your product from light and oxygen.
- They often have a more premium feel than bottled goods.
Drawbacks of Jarred Packaged Goods:
- They are breakable.
- They are heavy, which can increase shipping costs.
- They require a tamper-evident seal.
How to choose the right type of packaging for your needs
So, which packaging is right for your business? The answer depends on a variety of factors, including your budget, your product, and your shipping and storage needs.
With plenty of options out there, when choosing between different types of packaging for your business, there are a few factors you should consider:
- The type of product you are selling.
- The needs of your customers.
- Your budget.
- Your shipping and storage requirements.
- The shelf life of your product.
- Whether you want a more premium feel for your product.
If you are selling a food item, you will need to choose packaging that can withstand the rigors of shipping and storage, as well as protect your product from oxygen and light. Glass jars are a good option for food items, but they are also more fragile than plastic packaging. If you are selling a non-food item, such as cosmetics or cleaning supplies, you have more flexibility in your packaging choices.
- How long does your product need to last?
- How will your product be transported?
- What should be the function of packaging my product?
- How will your product be stored?
- Is it important to you that your packaging can be recycled?
- What is your budget for packaging?
- Am I open to extra packaging charges?
The bottom line
There is no one-size-fits-all answer when choosing the quality packaging for your product. Consider the needs of your product and your customers when making your decision. And remember, you can always experiment with different styles of packaging to see what works best for you and your business.
What type of packaging do you prefer for your products? Let us know in the comments below! And be sure to check out our blog for more packaging tips and tricks.
Table of Contents
Frequently Asked Questions
You may not think about the packaging when you buy bottled or jarred packaged goods. However, the packaging can actually make a big difference in terms of the quality of the product. From food’s safety to its freshness, packaging plays an important role in keeping packed foods fresh and safe to consume.
There are also attractive packagings that make products more appealing to customers.
Creative packaging makes a great first impression on customers, who are more likely to buy the products. Besides that, a well-designed packaging will:
- Protect food from damage
- Fresh foods for more extended periods of time
- Make products more appealing
- Help to reduce food waste
- Enhance the shelf life of products.
Nowadays, people are more health-conscious and aware that plastic is bad for their health. However, a wide variety of canned and bottled food is becoming more popular as people want to eat healthy and organic food. There are also many new products that are being released in glass jars rather than plastic bottles or cans. This is because people perceive glass as being more natural and healthier.
While bottled and jarred goods are safe and recyclable, the packaging itself can pose environmental concerns. The bottled water industry is facing a lot of scrutinies lately due to the amount of plastic waste it generates. In the U.S. alone, we consume about 50 billion bottles of water per year, and less than 30% of those are recycled. That means 38 billion bottles end up in landfills or as litter each year!
Jarred goods, on the other hand, are typically made from recycled materials and require less energy to produce. They also have less harmful chemicals and generate less waste. So if you’re looking to be more eco-friendly, jarred goods are the way to go.
If you’re looking for a safe and sustainable way for your packaging products, glass containers are a great option.
It’s a sustainable and recyclable material that can be used over and over again. It doesn’t lose its quality when it’s recycled, so it can be used to make new products. Glass recycling has many benefits, such as:
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- Conserving energy
- Creating jobs
- Saving money on packaging
- Helping to reduce pollution.
Bottled and jarred goods are generally safe to consume. Canned goods have a slight advantage over bottled and jarred goods because the canning process kills bacteria and seals in the food, which helps to prevent contamination. However, bottled and jarred goods are still safe to consume if they’re properly sealed and stored. The only important thing is to check labels before you buy anything.